Sunday, January 18, 2009

You've got to keep your mind wide open


At the risk of you rolling your eyes and muttering under your breath that, Yes! We get it already! It's been a crazy intense winter in Indiana! I'm going to dedicate this one more (One last? We'll see) post to the topic of snow.

For the most part, my kids have adjusted to spending twenty minutes prep time on dressing appropriately before heading out to play. Piles of hats and boots and mittens and scarves we now keep constantly by our entry way for them to rummage through and mix and match. Elijah, Priscilla, Benjamin - they are tired of being cooped up inside.

Three-year-old Mary, however, has had more difficulty overcoming these seasonal inconveniences, opting rather to stay warm and coat-free in our living room with her Rubbermaid tub full of Barbies and baby dolls. She's braved it a few times, but only briefly. It's just not her thing, I figured. And that was that.

Here is your choice, my husband, Troy, who is a strong believer in children getting out of doors as frequently as possible, told Mary yesterday, take a nap or go sledding with us. Begrudgingly, she chose the latter. And then as preschoolers are apt to do, she surprised us once again by quite suddenly and inexplicably opening her mind to the possibility that adapting to (rather than avoiding) our blizzard-y environment can be less than miserable, enjoyable even. Almost two hours, three snowball fights and ten snow angels later, Troy had to lure her out of our yard with promises of pizza.

All night it snowed; it's snowing now. When I took out the garbage, it was up to my knees. Everything is white, thickly white and sparkling. I'd be annoyed, I suppose, exasperated by its relentlessness if I wasn't so in awe. You should see my street, I'm not kidding - it's extraordinary.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Everyone say a prayer for global warming.

Judging by Mary and Thomas' reaction to sledding with Troy, I'm sorry I missed it when we were there.

Kelleylynn said...

Mary looks so adorable!
We are having tons of snow ourselves and the kids are sledding every day since there is a great hill right outside our building. And, the upside to all this play...their school work gets done by lunch time so they can get outside. Also, to the our delight, not a sound from their rooms each night. Ahhh...
Sounds like you all are having a blast!

Beth said...

Just want to clarify that the previous comment on global warming was from my dear husband (in case you hadn't guessed).

Has said...

I can't even imagine. What is the texture of snow? In what way is it fun? But lovely to see little Mary (she really seems a kindred spirit to my 3-year-old Rosie) having an unexpected great time. She's super cute.