Tuesday, January 20, 2009

never saw blue like that











This blog is my collection of silver linings - my lemonade squeezed from lemons life has sporadically handed out for me to do with what I may. There are very few scenarios too downright horrific to extract any hope from. The bulk of the challenges I'll encounter, while wrestling my doubts and pressing onward in pursuit of love, freedom (from myself) and purpose, I'll endure, pray through fervently, and then decide to either learn from them or harbor resentment. My overarching goal, here, is to develop through practice and awareness, a genuine spirit of gratitude.

Because it is true that absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder, I am thankful for the changing seasons ushering in and back out again warmth then coolness, long evenings then shorter ones, blossoming trees, fierce looking icicles, wild strawberries. I am choosing (and using all of my determination to do so) to meditate on the above photos of our park, taken in late summer when the blueness of the skies no longer impressed me - when the sweat burning my eyes had me pining for a breeze so chilly, it would take my breath away.

Someday, I am sure of it, I will once again feel upon my shoulders the heat of the sun. I'll wear a single layer of cotton instead of scratchy woolen sweaters and knee socks. I will nostalgically post my memories of lazy weekends watching the snow fall out our window. I'd be wise, however, to focus all of my current energies on seizing the present - forecast, frustrations, ages of my children, the present chances to inhale my blessings and unearth something, anything, as many things as possible, worth celebrating.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

If you guys would just move down south, you'd have warm weather 90% of the year! :-)

Kelleylynn said...

Truly Beautiful! Today the sun is shining and the untouched snow blankets the earth below. In only a few months spring will return in hopeful anticipation of growth.
I feel this way...anticipation of growth from our mericful-gracious Lord.
Thank you, dear friend for shedding some light even through the seasons of life on me today...I shall hold unto it and remain grateful

Kelly said...

How much of life we waste by pining for a time past or yet to come. Thank you for the reminder that it is best to live in the day. I am challenged on a daily basis to enjoy the moment instead of planning for a future minute, hour, or day. It is nice to know that you also struggle with these temptations. May God give us the strength and wisdom to celebrate and be thankful for what He has provided us with!