Thursday, January 22, 2009

life may hand us lemons...


All morning I rehearsed out loud my answers to the questions I was anticipating she might throw at me.

Who are you talking you?! Priscilla asked

It focuses mostly on the interior lives of mothers, I replied.


Paige, my sister-in-law and hard working publicist, arranged for me to be interviewed this afternoon by an area newspaper about my book. I was really looking forward to it.

We arrived at the agreed upon meeting spot, our town's only coffee shop, a few minutes early, press kit in hand.

Are you here to see Alex? said the girl behind the counter.

That we were.

Well she's sick and can't come. She wanted me to tell you.

And thus I'd practiced (and broke out my knee high boots) for naught.

But lemonade! Lemonade and Silver Linings! That is for sure my new motto and to prove it, I came up with three distinct benefits of being stood up by our reporter:

1. I ordered and then drank leisurely a four dollar beverage containing two shots of espresso and chocolate syrup.

2. Paige and I had a chance (see above) to strategize a bit, without our children interrupting us, and generate new ideas regarding the marketing of Close to Home.

3. One of the coffee shop employees took my name and number to give to the owner, who apparently likes to support local authors by displaying and selling their books and even having them come and do readings on the weekends.

Oh boy, and tomorrow is Friday.

It's just coming up roses all over the place.

5 comments:

Has said...

Wow Molly, you're going to have such a great experience! I will have a look for some avenues through which to publicise your book over here.
I will be praying for you - it might be stressful and hard work.
Selena

Kelleylynn said...

Btw, you and Paige looked terrific, relaxed and energized!

Anonymous said...

Glory to God! I think the book sounds wonderful! I hope your interview can be rescheduled, but if not at least it was a relaxing and productive time!

Kelly said...

It's so nice to know that someone else rehearses answers to questions, thus appearing to those around them to have lost their marbles. I used to do this before job interviews, and found that if I didn't, I was not as loquacious.

Hope you can set up another meeting, and good for you for enjoying the time anyway!

::Sylvia:: said...

I am giddy with excitement for you! And it sounds like it turned out to be a pretty nice afternoon anyway! Good luck, I can't wait to hear more details!