Thursday, January 8, 2009

entertaining

So I thought you'd like to see our back-up plan for when we lose the two stations we currently kind of get (It's embarrassing to admit how many fuzzy episodes of Dateline's To Catch a Predator I have watched...or more like endured while folding laundry on a rip-roaring Friday evening) because we don't have digital T.V. or cable. I am totally not exaggerating when I tell you that the above banana box, expertly crafted to resemble a working television, has provided my kids with hours of entertainment. So intensely do Priscilla, Ben and Mary stare, in fact, at the Barbies and Rescue Heroes dramatizing (via Elijah's adeptness at story telling) imagination inspired adventures on that make believe screen, it nearly warrants an old school lecture on how sitting too close will hurt their eyes, fry their brains, stunt their growth.

While, admittedly, a few kinks still need to be ironed out (i.e. how to best recreate sporting events using Star Wars action figures and Polly Pockets), I am pleased overall with my family's ingenuity, our can-do attitude, our ability to think outside "the box" (Funny, right? Do you get it? Box?). Now if only it were possible to concoct some kind of a computer (preferably one similar to the new ultra thin MacBooks) from out of Play-Doh, a milk carton, and bobby pins, for when our ancient Toshiba inevitably crashes. Where there's a will there's a way, isn't that what they say? I'll for sure keep you posted on our progress.

3 comments:

Grandpa Mike said...

Molly, This is hilarious. I "rolled on the floor" laughing. Sounds just like Elijah, or "Lige", as I call him. (He said it was OK to call him that.)

I can hardly wait for the "home made computer"!

Love,

Grandpa Mike

Has said...

Great Molly! Your kids have got talent! When we ditched our TV 2 years ago, my 2 youngest girls spent a while standing in front of the microwave waiting for something to appear... then eventually they started rummaging through cupboards for puzzles, pencils, paper, paints etc, and we have never looked back.

Molly Sabourin said...

You'll for sure get a chance to try the computer, grandpa! In fact, if you really like it, we could arrange to trade our exciting homemade one for your boring regular one. Just think about it! :)

Selena,

I laughed out loud imagining your children staring into the microwave. That is totally something my own desperate kids would try. It is nice to hear from you!