Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Nightmare on Waverly Street


And thus it begins: our 2009 tour of every park within a ten mile radius of our home. Yesterday, I dropped Priscilla off for her first softball practice at a nearby elementary school and she jumped right in - no clinging, no second thoughts. Next we drove to another town and to another playground to take Benjamin to t-ball. He too was rearing to go and only once (I believe) did he get all caught up in the excitement of the moment and tackle another player going for the same ball he was. Meanwhile, Mary fell on the monkey bars and bumped her lower lip which bled profusely without her knowing it. She touched her bloodied mouth with her fingers and then used that same hand to push the hair from her eyes and, apparently, rub repeatedly her little face before finding me and asking, Mama, can you lift me on to that swing? I suppressed a small scream; she look like something from out of a horror film, a horror film starring Tinker Bell. Note to self: always, always keep a container of wet wipes in the mini-van.

Tomorrow, they both have practice again at two totally different fields and I am kind of wondering now why I was the only mother frantically writing down these dates, locations and times on her arm with a black Bic pen (thanks for the hot tip, Beth) as the coaches explained their hardly consistent practice schedules. I am hoping that with more experience, I, too, will be able to nod my head knowingly and answer, "O.K. Alright. M-m-m, H-m-m," and really mean it.

6 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

Okay. Now I'm tired. All that running to practices, all that remembering schedules.

You have the blood, the sweat - where are the tears?

Michelle said...

Oh Molly - welcome to the spring sports season! My running has almost ended and yours is beginning. It's a lot to keep track of - on the days of no practice declare an 'at-home' day and refuse to get in the van to go ANYWHERE.

oh - and meet another mom so you can carpool (easier said than done... but lovely when it happens).

Love ya,
Michelle

MamaHolly said...

Horror film starring Tinker Bell.... funny stuff! Sorry about all the hectic shuffling!

Carol said...

Molly: I was one of eight, and we were all in sports or something. My mother told me when I was grown that a good day for her was when the station wagon never left the garage. Now I know what she means.....

Sandy said...

The Tinker Bell horror film made me laugh! Too funny!

Grandpa Mike said...

I love your comments about your kids (MY great-grandchildren!)

You're such an "honest" mom, and your pictures and stories are sometimes hilarious!

Spiced with spiritual thoughts.