Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Rainy Day Stay

I am glad today for the rain. After so much jubilation, so much chocolate, so little sleep, we are spent and in need of rest. I am home, home with my children, home with my memories, home with my solid and savory resoluteness to view all of this through the clarifying lens of Life - life undiluted, life resurrected.

What's changed? What is less vile about the mud on my shoes, the unseasonable coldness? Nothing... but also everything. It is I who was altered by the arduous journey through repentance, an "in your face" type of realization about the stubbornness of my weaknesses, and into relief, sweet relief, rather than my circumstances.

I am glad today for the stillness, the sobering grayness, the chance to reflect for just a moment on the magnitude of this other option, this alternative to running around in circles with my tail between my legs, involving redemption from the chaos of being ruled over by my whims, my emotions, my hyper-active worries, and courage born of blood stained love.

O death, where is thy sting? O hades, where is thy victory?

Christ is risen, and you are overthrown! Christ is risen, and the demons are fallen! Christ is risen, and the angels rejoice! Christ is risen, and life reigns! Christ is risen, and not one dead remains in a tomb! For Christ, being raised from the dead, has become the First-fruits of them that slept.

To Him be glory and might unto ages of ages. Amen.
- St. John Chyrsostom

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm enjoying the return of the music!

Lucy said...

So true. And I mean both your post and the return of music. You find the coolest songs!

It rained here all day on Pascha and yesterday. It felt very cleansing. I needed the quiet, too. Plus, now we have budding leaves on our trees!

Btw, I just started reading your book. I love it!

Molly Sabourin said...

I am also enjoying the return of music! Thanks for sharing with me my small delights. Have a bright and brilliant afternoon, Kelly and Lucy! Hug and kiss your loved ones. :)

sh kelleylynn said...

Ahhh...Molly! :D