Wednesday, April 22, 2009

my baby sparkle and shine





Ah, to be so optimistic - to greet an ordinary Wednesday in a satiny gown, a pair of cowboy boots and a bejeweled crown. Watching you spin and turn and pursue fanciness for its own sake with the same passion and diligence of grown ups, myself at times included (sigh), chasing doggedly after prosperity, control and respect, makes me irrationally (the best kind of) happy. You make me happy, every morning, by waking up first and coming to find me in your footed jammies all full of sleepy and cuddly affection. I want for you, for me, for our family, to help each other slow down a little and discover the joy in loving people over things, in seizing every opportunity to create beauty and community where before there was emptiness, gaudiness and isolation. Live, sweet Mary! Don't waste your time, your youthful energy, on anxious thoughts about tomorrow! Dance today! Play today! Shine and Sparkle!

Joy

Let a joy keep you.
Reach out your hands
And take it when it runs by,
As the Apache dancer
Clutches his woman.
I have seen them
Live long and laugh loud,
Sent on singing, singing,
Smashed to the heart
Under the ribs
With a terrible love.
Joy always,
Joy everywhere -
Let joy kill you!
Keep away from little deaths.

-Carl Sandburg

4 comments:

sh kelleylynn said...

Love her face and your beautiful reflections!

c said...

amen! where's my tiara?

Beth said...

She is so precious. As we were singing "The Angel Cried," this morning, I kept hearing her little voice singing into the phone. Sigh- wish we could be together so her and Thomas could sing so loudly and say "birgin" together. And of course, one of my favorite poems and poets. Thanks for sharing it; it has been awhile since I read it. R and E are down and Thomas is ready to play. Oh, and Elliot wanted to wear his plaid jacket over his Cubs shirt today- quite a combo. Love to you.

Molly Sabourin said...

It is a good poem - a great poem, isn't it? I still have a handwritten note from you (it's about 15 years old now)containing the "O Living always" poem we loved so dearly in college.

Yes, C, tiaras for everyone! Can you fit one under your skateboarding helmet? :)