Monday, April 27, 2009

a blistered hand on the handle of a shovel







Ah! My kids are filthy - unplugged and tuned in to the sweetness and unlimited adventurousness of their own imaginations.  As they say in the addictive cyber world of Facebook, I "like this." If you pass our front sidewalk but stop short of crossing the street, you'll find an idyllic  patch of grass and dirt where sits, not an electrical outlet for recharging iPhones in order to receive second-to-second updates on all the banality, lurid gossip and delirium within society at large, but a land of dinosaurs and mud pools and dandelion trees. You'll find the touchable, kissable, flesh and blood components of a smaller existence, one more rhythmic than jolting. 


It isn't a hide under a rock and plug up our ears, blindfold our eyes, brand of being I want for my family (I am so thankful for the sense of connection to far away friends and the opportunity for developing new ones that the internet has provided me), but one of balance. I want our greater reality, the reality that fills our minds, our souls, even, to be made up of school lessons, face-to-face conversations, shared meals and our communal reception of the Eucharist on Sunday mornings. 

There is a time to surf and a time to shut down - to walk away from what is lifeless and distant, from that fiery urge to know everything NOW. There is satisfaction, whole and solid, on the other side of withdrawal from the steady stream of technological stimulation. There are fairies to house and feed, I've been told by my daughter Priscilla, in our yard wet with dew, teeming with tales mysterious and miraculous of re-birth, new growth, unmanufactured beauty. There is much to do today, much worth striving for! Let's get started! 

Television is a medium of entertainment which permits millions of people to listen to the same joke at the same time, and yet remain lonesome.
-T.S. Eliot

6 comments:

Beth said...

Tell Priscilla that the evergreens in our park host a whole slew of fairies that look strangely like pinecones. These particular fairies are generous and always offer us cookies and cake. She will have to visit! Thanks for this post and for this song ( I have always loved this song) I think a bit of sleep deprivation was causing me to feel a bit lethargic and causing me to question my ability to do the things that need to be done and the carrying out of the intentions that need to be materialized. "If I have a care in the world, I have a gift to bring." Also love the T.S. Eliot quote. You can never really go wrong with Eliot. Have a good day. Have diapers to change! Love you.
P.S. Eliot insists on "dressing" for each meal. Yes, he is currently wearing the plaid jacket.

Sara said...

How wonderful! I love when my kids use their imaginations. They are so creative. It's so fun to just sit back and watch them.

I think I have to go dig out my Indigo Girls CD and let it take me back a few years!

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

Thanks for the post Molly! I love this song! It has been too long since I listened to it. It was one of those songs I came back to again and again in college. Good sentiments.

Kelleylynn said...

Great catching up with you!
Looks like all are enjoying the "now"...the beauty that the everyday brings...Glory to God!

Also, enjoyed listening to the Indigo Girls! Played the song a few times over!

Unknown said...

So who is that operating the shovel?

Molly Sabourin said...

That shovel operator is the one and only, mud-loving, Benji! :)