Thursday, February 5, 2009

Reflecting Light

We fought all the way to the library. We fought off tears and the urge to run away from one another. It's too much sometimes, having to love and raise and educate my children. I'm not always up to it. To tell you the truth, I lose momentum, cave into frustration, run out of steam. As usual, I was bundled, but I neglected to put on boots. Through my silvery flats and black stripy knee socks I felt the slush, dirty slush. Well that figures, I thought, like Eeyore counting his mishaps, on top of everything else, my feet are wet. Oh bother.

Once inside, the five of us scattered. In separate aisles, separate spaces, we unwound. I watched toddlers running loose - heard screams of protest, whispered warnings; all around me were mothers in the messy, demanding, thick of it. I was comforted, in good company, not alone. Check this out, said Elijah, my nine-year-old. And together we marveled at a picture of hands painted expertly to resemble zebras, alligators, lions - spectacular stuff- in a kid's magazine. That is amazing, I assured him, relieved and grateful for the olive branch he was extending to me, having cooled off and forgotten entirely how unfair, how intolerable is his life as an eldest son.

The moment passed, as it usually does. Our despair gave way to acceptance, warm and manageable, with but a simple change of scenery. We weren't broken it turns out, only shaded for awhile from the goldenness of our potential. We lost sight of what is good, even holy, about being bonded, fused together, for all eternity. We forget and then remember and then forget again all the time. So it goes with faith and sacrifice: up and down, mountains and valleys, joy and sorrow.

It isn't less cold than before but the sun is bright, brilliant. The icicles (or "sharps," as Mary prefers to call them), so jagged and intimidating, protruding downward over our porch have begun melting. Seen this way, transparent and dazzling, reflecting the light, winter seems pure and clean and promising.

Harsh, healing, hectic, invigorating, binding, freeing - it's all just a matter of perspective.

10 comments:

Has said...

Oh Molly I loved this post. We are feeling just the same over here, except it's a horrible heatwave. We too went to the library the other day, and argued all the way there. To top it off, it seems something (rat or possum) died in our chimney and has filled the house with the smell of rotting animal. Your post is perfect right now although we are experiencing direct opposites.

I can't believe you have icicles on your porch!

We've had most days around or above 40 degrees celsius (104 fahrenheit, I think) and many elderly people have died. Lots of electricity blackouts too.

On your behalf, I can't wait for an American spring!

Has said...

Hey, you know, in retrospect these are the kinds of days when I skip morning prayers... coincidence? I think not. Or perhaps I'm imagining it.

Kelleylynn said...

Truly one of your most beautiful posts.
When we are "worn out" -- God is there - never left, most assurdly there in the midst of it all -- even all that snow, ice, and cold reflective warmth is found!
ooo...Sam Phillips (or Leslie Phillips) Hubby and I love, love, love her! Great stuff, indeed

Sandy said...

Thank you for your honesty! Nice to know that we aren't the only family that "loses it." :)

Ingrid said...

I feel like that daily. It is sad to me that I feel such stress at times with my children. Today I took my youngest and my friend's 3 kids on an outing. So little stress. Why is it that her kids don't stress me out but mine do? It probably is the closeness of family. I wish it were different but I do try and savor the times when I enjoy my kids.

Mark G. said...

Lovely story. Lovely photo. Thanks!

Kelly said...

Inspiring! Thank you for sharing.

Kelly said...

I think you need to include a CD of music with your new book. I love your music selections. I need to start collecting them in a play list, as I am always sad when they are gone.

Anonymous said...

I love how you describe going off by yourselves for a bit once you got to the library; it was kind of refreshing just reading it.

Ha, 'sharps'. I'm so calling icicles that now.

Molly Sabourin said...

Oh thank you all for your comments! I so love hearing from you.