Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Cedarwell

Photo by Austin Warnock-Indianapolis Indiana austinwarnock.wordpress.com

Recently, Troy's cousin, Erik, stopped by to see us on his way to Chicago. Erik is a musician. His band is Cedarwell. Eleven years ago, when Troy and I got married, Erik was just a kid and it’s been remarkable watching him really come into his own as an artist. I've wanted to play some of his songs, here, on my blog and just yesterday (finally) discovered this one, Black Lung, on Playlist. It's one of my favorites.

Last Thanksgiving, Erik recorded Black Lung at his uncle's lovely home in Battle Creek, Michigan. Troy's family knocks me out in that they are all unusually talented and supportive of one another, which is why Erik included them, his aunt Bev and several cousins, in the process of creating something so beautiful from out of nothing. It was late in the evening when I sat silently, so as not to disturb the rhythm of a lyricist giving birth, between my two sisters-in-law and watched on with fascination as various relatives played the violin, the flute, the piano in accompaniment to Erik and his back-up singers (also relatives - my husband, Troy, among them). It made me marvel at the miracle of music - how it reaches it out and grabs you by the soul.

Erik is out there making a go of it, sacrificing much to share with thousands of fortunate listeners, both here and abroad, his time, his passion and his talents. It is a privilege, now, for me to share with you something rare and refreshing – melodies thought-provoking, raw, unpretentious, unpredictable and sometimes haunting. Click HERE to hear more of Erik’s songs or to find out additional information about Cedarwell.

Tomorrow, for sure (unless my front and back doors are literally barricaded with snow), the children and I will go on some kind, any kind, of errand. We will leave this house!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your website and I think I'm addicted!

Every day, you serve up a nugget of beautiful writing. You have a unique ability to "capture the moment" in photos & words.

paige maddex said...

I have been listening to Erik's cds and really like his music. He's a great songwriter - i really like "Secret Girl." You can hear that on his website @
http://www.cedarwell.com

Michelle said...

This is one of my favorite Cederwell Songs - I'm just letting it play while I work. Or pretend to work.

I have to admit - I felt the same awe when I was in that room and watched the recording.

We are SO BLESSED to have a family who loves to hang out, create and enjoy each other.

Much love,
Michelle

Molly Sabourin said...

Secret Girl. Yes, secret girl is a fun one! I had no idea, Michelle, that when I married Troy I'd get all these other beautiful people along with him. Lucky me. :)

Hi, Millie!

I am so glad that you found my blog, and that you also enjoy reading it! Come back every day. I enjoy the company. :) Thank you very much for taking the time to encourage me by commenting!

Sandy said...

I like it! Reminds me allot of Sufjan Stevens. Thanks for sharing!