Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Chesterton Literary Society







It's getting busier and busier all the time around here, which explains why I haven't posted and why just looking at our calendar makes me reach for the extra-strength Tylenol. It's a good hectic, though - full of visits from friends, birthday parties, dance classes and...yes, as you can see from the above photos, enlightening evenings spent sipping wine and eating cheesecake while discussing the plots and characters within a variety of fine books.

We Hoosiers have corn, the Dunes, the Indianapolis 500 and now, I am pleased to announce, the Chesterton Literary Society (pretty fancy, uh?). For months I'd wanted to organize some sort of book club and, finally, we have gathered and committed to meet again to discuss our next novel in mid-March. This past Friday, we focused on Jane Austin's Northanger Abbey. It was such a pleasant night - exactly what I'd hoped for. As a stay-at-home mother, I find it absolutely delightful to not only leave my house and children behind for a few hours but to also nurture my mind with great stories and conversation. If you ever find yourself in our neck of the woods on the second Friday of any given month, feel free to join us!

8 comments:

Kris Livovich said...

what's the next book? It looks like you had a wonderful time.

Has said...

This is great! I'd join if I could!

Unknown said...

Didn't any guys show up?

Kelly said...

Sounds amazing and fun! I love the name; how did you decide on it?

Molly Sabourin said...

I think my friend Kris came up with the name. Is that true, Kris? Am I remembering correctly? It was meant as a joke but I totally went with it. Chesterton is the name of the town we live in. The book club is pretty great - I really do wish you all could come! And no, Father James, no men dared to join us! :)

Kelleylynn said...

Awww...sounds perfect! And I'm a huge Jane Austin freak! :) Northanger Abbey is actually one of my favs!
Enjoy! so wishing I could join you but delighted that you are getting out for some "you" time!

Unknown said...

Oh...I had assumed it was named after G. K. Chesterton.

Perhaps you could also name it "The Chick Mushy Book Club." Ha!

Lucy said...

I'm jealous. I'd love to be in a book club with you. It looks like a lovely time. :)