Sunday, October 19, 2008

Praise God from whom all blessings flow

1976 (grandma and me)



2008 (grandma with my daughter, Mary)


This morning I got a phone call from my mother. It was about grandma, she'd been taken to the hospital. When Liturgy was over, she called again; it was time to say goodbye. You never know what joys or sorrows each new day will bring with it. I'd never have guessed that by this evening I'd be drained yet wired and in awe of how heaven and earth are so connected, so entwined. We were together as a family when my grandpa kissed her mouth and told her gently to relax and let go. We were together, singing hymns and reading the Psalms and remembering how funny she was and wonderful. We were there when she gasped, took that final breath. We witnessed her death, her resurrection. Suddenly, the things I thought mattered simply didn't anymore. I had been all in a tizzy, over what?

Memory Eternal, Wilma Jean Maddex. Lord have mercy on your soul and on us who've been left behind. May the magnitude of you passing from out of this life and into the next right before our very eyes, keep us always in a state of wonder and determined to stress, resent, envy less and love more. Thank you, grandma, for everything. We miss you already.

11 comments:

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

Sorry to hear this news Molly, but it sounds like you had many good times with her. I am sure she will be missed. I will keep your family in prayer.

Xenia Kathryn said...

Memory Eternal! My thoughts are with you and your family, Molly.

Has said...

How beautiful that you could be there as she died.

positivechaos said...

Molly May her Memory be Eternal!
Take comfort in that you were there when she passed.
I will pray for your whole family.
I guess we were wrtiing similar things on our blog On Sundya Evening..Check it out www.positivechaos.wordpress.com
Love you!

Kelleylynn said...

May her dear memory be eternal!

A sweet friend of ours lost her battle, last night,to cancer and your words are comforting.

Kelly said...

May her memory be eternal!

Maridee said...

So very, deeply saddened for you and your family. Grandmas are wonderful, loving us just as we are and treasuring the moments they spend with us just as much as we treasure them in hindsight. I'm praying your warm memories will comfort your heart through the days ahead.

Jeanette said...

What a blessing to leave this life surrounded by family and Psalms and prayer. Praying for you and your family, and your mother and grandfather.

Unknown said...

May her memory be eternal, and may the God of all comfort grant you and your family peace in this time of loss.

Dove Knits said...

I'm so sorry. Memory eternal!

Sandy said...

I'm so very sorry. God bless your family during this time!