Friday, October 17, 2008

love rescues

My neighbor, Kris, a busy mom of four hilarious and adorable little children, read my post about the hypothetical scenario I dreamed up involving me accepting help from a kindly stranger(s). This afternoon she stopped by to see us, bearing treats. There was soup, homemade applesauce and bread, all of which are making this house smell deliciously (nutritiously)wholesome. And I want you to know right now that if ever you feel frustrated by all you can't do for society at large, if you're concerned about how motherhood and its many demands might be cramping your philanthropic style, that through living "small," and by that I mean focusing wholeheartedly on the people and opportunities right in front of you, you have the potential every day to make a real and lasting difference in those purposely placed in your path. I, for example, because of one thoughtful friend, will eat well tonight. I'll be inspired to keep my eyes and ears open for needs that spring up in others around me which I might be able to meet. I'll say a prayer I probably would have skipped otherwise, because I'm grateful. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to feed my family something besides Honey Nut Cheerios, thanks to Kris and her generosity. May you all have a peaceful weekend!

2 comments:

Kelleylynn said...

Your prays answered...what a relief :) Thank God for wonderful neighbors...a blessing!
So sorry to hear that you are all under the weather.
My prayers dear friend -- I wish - I wish to don my save-the-day cape where I would hop on my magic carpet equipped with my ever-uselful magic wand to your rescue...

paige maddex said...

Hooray for Kris!