Friday, October 24, 2008

...if you needed me to

Dear Benjamin,

I'm a sucker for that face (just ask daddy). You were my biggest baby, 9 lb. 6 oz, and your delivery was so long and so excruciating, I thought I'd die. You arrived a scant 15 months after your older sister, Priscilla. "Irish Twins!" people would say to me whenever I dared to go out in public with my three tiny children, age 4 and under. You used to introduce yourself as "the nicest boy in the world." You're snuggly and generous, which to me makes up for the mayhem and the destruction that tends to follow in your wake. "BENJAMIN LEONARD SABOURIN!!" is how I usually call your name - how most people do if they spend more than fifteen minutes with you. Tomorrow, you turn six-years-old. It's hard to believe, really. You can't fathom that there was ever a time in my life without you in it ("But where am I," you wonder when you see our wedding pictures). For six years you've been stretching me, delighting me and keeping me always, always, always on my toes. I'd do anything for you, go anywhere. I'd scale a mountain, wrestle a bear, swim across an ocean, play Rescue Heroes, Star Wars, Matchbox Cars...if you (really) needed me to. I wish for you health, peace and love. And for myself, I wish for but a fraction of your exuberance. Happy Birthday, sweetheart.

Love,

Mama

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday and many years!

Yevette said...

I'm Laura's sister (from Swaimscholarschool). I, too, have a son who will be 6 years old tomorrow! I followed your example and put a post of my son on my photo blog. Happy Birthday to Benjamin!
Yevette

Sarah said...

Many years, young Benjamin. I enjoyed hearing a bit about him from your parents when I met them in September. Lovely post, Molly.

Dove Knits said...

Happy birthday, Benji!

Jeanette said...

Wow, a lot of us were pregnant at the same time about 6 years ago... we are also celebrating a birthday for my second daughter tomorrow afternoon (although her birthday was actually the 19th). Happy birthday, Benjamin!

Kelleylynn said...

6 years old! Many years Ben!

Sorry for the belated wish -- somehow I believe Ben won't mind a bit since he is much like our Luke and everyday is a reason to celebrate or celebrate the fact nothing was broken that day :)
You're lucky, Molly to have a varity in play -- where we are stuck endlessly with Luke, I mean, Spidey's web! :)