Tuesday, September 16, 2008

it's a lovely day

It's Tuesday, so break out the satin gloves. I've learned a lot from my girls; one thing being that more occasions than you may have originally thought can be labeled as "special," worthy of candles and floor length gowns. I read somewhere once that stay-at-home mothers ought never to wear pajamas or sweat suits around the house because ours is a real job too, darn it, and we should dress for success just like everyone else. It's advice I have taken to heart after moving to a small town where drop-in visits from neighbors are a daily possibility. Thus far, I've kept things sedate: jeans, shoes, unstained shirt, and mascara. During breakfast, however, while watching Priscilla get all gussied up for a morning full of flash cards, Boxcar Children and compound sentences, I couldn't help but wish I, too, had chosen something more celebratory to put on for this 16th day of September - this special day, this lovely day, this once in a lifetime only day, worth savoring.

3 comments:

Xenia Kathryn said...

Yes, I've also found that, since living in a small town (we moved here in April), I always have to be ready for a visitor :D Not only does it keep me from laying around in pjs, but it also forces me to keep the house (kinda) tidy.

Kelleylynn said...

This is my new life here on campus with visitors all the time...an adjustment to say the least but this aspect can't be all that bad, except when you just need those stay-in-your-pj days.
She is a lovely girl and you are a lovely mom!

Kelly said...

For some reason today, your post just struck home. Doesn't Priscilla have the right attitude here? This should be how we tackle each day, as one so specially made for us. I guess I've been dealing with the end of summer blahs, and how nice to receive a pep talk from Miss Priscilla all dressed up?

Thank you for sharing, and helping me see that I can make any day special.