Tuesday, September 30, 2008

In the Jungle


My brother (before he became a father) used to tease me about the "gifts" I had started giving to my family members since having children. There were the Sears Portraits, the tiny hand prints in clay, and the crayon scribbles matted and framed, then wrapped in festive tissue paper - all of which, while certainly treasured, were giggled about during the holidays when I (and he, eventually) would purposely up the cutsie-ness and admit that our adorable offspring and their above average talent ("They're so advanced!" my grandma would tell me when my babies would lift their heads as newborn infants or eat with spoons as toddlers) had provided us with a consistent, convenient, and inexpensive supply of presents for aunts, uncles, Papas, Nanas and siblings. We all think our children are brilliant because...well, duh, they totally are, but I've tried on this blog to refrain from exhibiting an excessive degree of mommy bias or from scanning all of the artwork currently decorating our refrigerator and then posting those pasted, glued or painted portraits and landscapes, here, for your viewing boredom pleasure. But sometimes, sometimes, I can't help myself.

Elijah, my nine-year-old, had a writing assignment this week: create a short story using "Story Starter Picture" #1 (see above), which is a drawing of some kids on a raft extending a stick to a girl in the water. I, immediately, thought of summer camp - maybe somewhere in the woods of Wisconsin. There was some horseplay, perhaps. One of the campers lost her balance, fell in the river, and was being fished out by her friends. When I was his age, that is probably the angle I would have taken, using the minimum amount of sentences required to craft a straightforward beginning, middle, and conclusion with a couple of predictable similes thrown in for good measure. But my son doesn't think inside (or even know how to locate) "the box." The same picture that elicited from myself a rather dull and tired tale about a bunch of rowdy twelve-year-olds on a tippy raft inspired the following amalgam of poetry and fiction from Elijah:

AAAHHH!!! A scream stunned all the creatures outlining the Amazon, but not the gator.

Thrash! Thrash! The kicking scared all the aquatic creatures in the water, but not the gator.

Tug! Tug! The sound that stirred the water made the eels slip, but not the gator.

Whew. Whew. The sight of her relieved expression soothed the men after the rescue, but not the gator.

Itch! Itch! The feel of scratching on her sweaty face as she wondered how she’d survived.

Yea! Yea! The sound comforted all the creatures outlining the Amazon, but not the gator.

So yes, as his mom who happens to be quite fond of the written word, I love the subtle way he shows, without telling the obvious, that the girl in the water has just been saved from the jaws of a now disappointed Alligator! I still can't believe, I suppose, that the sons and daughters I carried and delivered are going on to become individuals with their own unique perspectives and tastes. I have to tread carefully through this next stage of parenting, lest I squelch in them something I should have allowed to flourish or fail to reign in the impulsiveness a future spouse might not appreciate or eventual boss will not tolerate in the workplace. It's difficult, right? Remembering that our children are not extensions of ourselves or possessions to manipulate into a mold of our own design. Pray first, respond second, I should tattoo that to my forehead so that everyone I come into contact with will remind me of it and hold me accountable.

In the meantime, I'll be printing off a hundred copies or so of the above Jungle piece and decoupaging it to any hard surface it will stick to. That way, when your birthday rolls around, I'll be all prepared.

4 comments:

Kelleylynn said...

He has a gift Molly! Now I wonder where he learned to foster his writing talents...hmm?

"Outside the box" is a good place to be instead of molded and fashioned by the world.

You have Elijah in the best place for his creativity...home.

Molly Sabourin said...

"Outside the box" is a good place to be instead of molded and fashioned by the world.

Thanks for this, Kelleylynn! I've been in need of that reminder today.

Michelle said...

I read Elijah's story/poem to his cousins and they all liked it, but I think they didn't quite understand it. Isaac wondered, "What is a gator?"

I LOVED it. I won't share what Nathaniel wrote for that same picture because it's more along the lines of what you would have written, Molly.

However, he did write a free-verse poem today for his writing assignment that he would like to share with you (and Elijah):

Mysteries

Who did it?
What happened?
When did it happen?
Where did it happen?
Why did he do it?
How did he do it?
Well, it's a mystery!

(Honestly, I think he's been sneaking out of his room to watch Monk from the hallway while I iron.)

(oops! He was reading over my shoulder and says, "No way Mom! It's from the Boxcar Children!")

Much love,
Michelle

Molly Sabourin said...

Thanks Michelle for sending that! Troy and I still pronounce it m(eye)stery because that's what Nathaniel would say when he was learning to read at what? 2 years old? I will definitely share this with Elijah as everything Nathaniel does, he finds absolutely fascinating.