Wednesday, September 10, 2008

bet your bottom dollar...

Family movie night isn't nearly as fun when it's light out; so we've taken the summer off. But now that the days are shortening, the weather is cooling, and cuddling under blankets isn't quite so sweat inducing, it may just be time to start it up again.

The older the kids get, the better our viewing options become because, I don't know about you, but animated films are really hard for me to sit through. What I've discovered, however, is that what once seemed cool to me is often not as impressive to my techno saavy children. Take The Little House on the Prairie movie, for example, which even six months ago I still sniffled through, and found myself offended when Elijah and Priscilla used the word, boring, to describe it. Granted, the quality was poor - all warbled and grainy, but I thought, just maybe, that Laura's tenacity and great courage would suck them in all on their own.

Mary Poppins, though, was a big hit. And so were The Princess Bride and the The Great Muppet Caper. Elijah thinks the old Star Wars movies are still super intriguing, and all the kids were almost as impressed as I was at their age by the mythical looking creatures in the Never Ending Story.

I think in the back of my mind I've wanted to re-create for them something akin to a few of my own past cinematic highlights, in which I was lost, completely absorbed in a place, in a time, in a really great story. In 1982, for example, I sat very nearly breathless in a darkened theater watching Little Orphan Annie sing her way into the heart of Daddy Warbucks. "Did you like it?" my mom asked afterwards, and I could hardly speak. I still, to this day, know the words to all the songs, and hum them often.

A few years later, it was Anne of Green Gables or Sound of Music that I watched over and over and over again. Much later still, it was Age of Innocence, Immortal Beloved, Shadowlands, and Dead Man Walking, that had the capacity to move me to tears with either their visual beauty, stunning soundtracks, or the complexity of their characters.


It is absolutely true that much of Hollywood, and the film industry in general, is a breeding ground for smut and greed and tastelessness. But I try not be a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" kind a gal. So I will be scanning the aisles of our library's AV department in search of
timeless and memorable tales worthy of warming a frigid evening and capturing our imaginations with their creativity.

Any suggestions?

10 comments:

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

It is not necessarily a family night movie but "The Mission" is a great flick. The soundtrack is wonderful too!

Unknown said...

Here are some we have enjoyed:

The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe (put the two youngest to bed first)

Father of the Bride 1&2

Princess Diaries 1&2

The Princess Bride

The Rookie (with Dennis Quaid)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factor

The Prince of Egypt

Joseph: King of Dreams

The Gospel of John film (in installments; the end is a little violent)

Charlotte's Web (non-animated version)

The Ten Commandments

Ben Hur (maybe for the older 2)


If I think of others, I'll let you know

Molly Sabourin said...

Thank you! I am writing these down in my notebook. I would love to compile as many as possible, so if you think of good ones later, please do leave the names of them here for me!

Has said...

Molly there's a great Australian website that reviews lots of kids' movies having thoughtful parents in mind... if you are considering a movie check out the reviews on this site - they report on every small part of the movie that might be a problem for children. Unfortunately it doesn't have a Christian perspective (so no problems with cohabitation, for example) but the level of detail is impressive.

http://www.youngmedia.org.au/



I guess in part it might be a substitute for vetting movies by yourself before showing the children.

Kelleylynn said...

So many movies, so little time.

First, who can get tired of Anne Shirely? and "As you wish..."

Some others that have been a hit here at the Barberg homestead:

For the girls: (but the boys seem to like too)
Little Women (with Susan Sarandon)
great soundtrack

Ever After (Drew Barrymore)

Any Shirley Temple movie

Meet me in St. Louis (Judy Garland)

Enchanted (some animation but was a really endearing movie)

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (long but so much fun)

Dragon Heart (may be more suitable for the older 2)

Swiss Family Robinson
Old Yeller

School House Rock (also doubles as Educational)
Planet Earth series (educational)
The March of the Penquins

For you are Troy:

Hamlet (with Mel Gibson)

Cinema Paradiso (Italian subtitles)

Diary of a Country Priest (French subtitles)

Life is Good (another Italian with subtitles)

La Chorus (French)

Les Miserables (Liam Neison)

The Count of Monte Cristo (Jim Caviezel)

Shawshank Redemption

O Brother Where Art Thou? (George Clooney)

Much Ado About Nothing(Shakespeare with Kenneth Branagh)

There are so many more but between my list and Fr. James' you should be all set for the winter...
Enjoy!

Unknown said...

I forgot a couple. There was a very good Disney movie about 10 years ago called "Iron Will" about dogsledding.

Also, any of the Veggie Tales videos are great for the whole family. Most are only 30-45 minutes long, but two are full-length films. They are mainly aimed at kids, but there are also plenty of jokes that only the grownups will get.

Our whole family has enjoyed most of the animated Disney films up to Pocahontas. Also, any of the Pixar movies are good.

Regaring websites, try www.kids-in-mind.com (Kids in mind). It rates nearly all the major theatrical releases since 1996 or so in three areas: Sex/nudity, violence, and language. Jennifer and I have found it invaluable in deciding what to see and what not to see.

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

a possible family night movie, or series of movies....the karate kid! still excellent even if we don't live in the eighties anymore!

Kelly said...

Swiss Family Robinson, Toby Tyler, and Polyanna are three classics that have not been mentioned yet. I remember enjoying them as a child, and I don't think they would fall in the "boring" category. I'll think about it, and see what else I can come up with.

Kelly said...

If you can stand the animation, I love "Hoodwinked" and "The Emperor's New Groove" as well.

Anonymous said...

Music Man might be fun, and there are several different versions to choose from. I grew up on musicals, so I'd recommend practically any Rogers and Hammerstein films, or other musical from the era (Anchors Aweigh might be nice as one of the characters is a young boy) but I know that isn't everyone's flavor.