Sunday, September 14, 2008

Eyes Wide Open


We traveled the two hours it takes to get to my in-laws this past weekend - a visit so long overdue, it necessitated the celebrating of seven different birthdays ranging in date from July 28th to September 17th. And I appreciated that, despite the sheer volume of individuals opening cards and gifts, and blowing out the candles on those decadent "Special K" Bars and the"Princess" ice cream cake, each one received their own harmonized rendition of "Happy Birthday To You," without exception. As usual, our trip was relaxing and much too brief.

I wanted to get a photo of my husband, Troy, with his mom and sisters. "Papa," I'm sure, was out of sight, under a pile of tackling, giggling, grandchildren. After the first shot, I asked my mother-in-law, Jan, if she was aware she'd been looking up in the picture, assuming my camera flash had caught her off guard. But she did know. It was her trick, she told us, to keep from blinking. During my second attempt, Troy and his siblings, Michelle and Carrie, decided to employ her ingenious "eyes wide open" technique themselves. The result was this adorable snapshot capturing accurately the love and laughter layered all warm and thick and cozy between the walls of their childhood home.

They're good people, those Sabourins. I married well.

Hooray for me!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through a link from the MOPS site...I'm a new Mentor Mom and was exploring the site to become more familiar with its resources.

I'm also a newly retired widow of 2 years, and have just moved to my daughter's home from Rockford, IL where I'd lived for 40+ years. I miss my home, friends, and spiritual community at a very deep level. I felt despair this morning, and e-mailed 3 people, asking them to "hold me in their hearts" for some encouragement. I thank God for the answer, through the encouragement which has come while reading about you, your spiritual journey, and the sharing of faith which you do through your many gifts.

Your phrase (which I'll have to paraphrase, since I didn't write it down) of changing focus from asking God into my affairs to a desire to live within the life of God, has blessed me beyond description, since it so clearly expresses my faith experience.

My father was a Baptist minister. It was his dream that I would attend MBI (he had attended Northern Baptist Seminary in Chicago). He left the Northern Baptist denomination in the 40's, thinking it was becoming "too liberal" and affiliated with the Baptist General Conference. Through this group I was wonderfully guided in scripture memorization and biblical knowledge. My fraternal grandparents added an honoring of the "mysteries" of faith as they participated in annointings and prayers for healing. With a rich and varied foundation, the sterility of my "evagelical" heritage didn't satisfy when, as an adult, I began the search for a faith community. Corporate worship, for me, was a better experience in a traditional main-line setting, with liturgy and celebration of the sacraments. That experience was enhanced when friends introduced me to a Benedictine retreat center in Madison, WI, where I was introduced to the writings of Thomas Merton, Theresa of Avila, and others. My understanding of God's way among us and in our world was greatly expanded.

Rather than leading me to a different faith affiliation or communion, this understanding enriched my worship and service in the church affiliation I already had, and within my other relationships. But now, in this new environment, I've been missing the friends with whom I shared worship.

What a wonder to have discovered, on this particular afternoon, the "Orthodox" websites! I expect the links to lead to a vast online "community of faith".

Aslo, I'm excited about your pre-teen novels...I'll be sending one to my grandson.

Yours is the first blog I've visited. I'm glad I may "comment". I'm so happy to be able tell you about this serendipity!