Sunday, May 17, 2009

when I see you smile
























We could not have asked for more perfect weather in which to cruise down Lake Shore Drive staring at the sights, the familiar landmarks, the hordes of people jogging, biking, sailing, exploring. Saturday was museum day for all of us Sabourins, except poor Priscilla whose up and down fever kept her home with grandma and grandpa (where she was lovingly coddled and doted on). Mary had her first big alone adventure with her godparents, the Lamberts, at the Kohls Children's museum and Troy, Ben, Elijah, my sister-in-law, Carrie, and I headed to the Museum of Science and Industry. It was crowded, of course, which necessitated plenty of "Stay with us!" reminders but other than that, all went smoothly - except for that time when one of our boys (can you guess who from the pictures?), who had brought along some saved up birthday money, bought a souvenir in the gift shop causing his penniless brother no small amount of agony.   True to his nature, however, my little trooper got the envy all of out his system relatively quickly and was able to fully enjoy the many hands on, climb on, way cool  displays and activities the museum had to offer. It was a joy for me to watch them ooh and awe at some of the same exhibits I liked as a child. It made me smile to see them smile. And yes, in case you were wondering, you are listening to a cover of the song made famous by the 80's band, Whitesnake. Does it make anyone else besides me nostalgic? 

11 comments:

Beth said...

Love the pictures and isn't our precious Carrie so beautiful. I must offer a correction, however. This is not Whitesnake, who made Here I Go Again pulse through my veins as a vulnerable freshman, but Bad English. Perhaps you in California were not so quite caught up in the "heavy metal" and glam rock that we in the Midwest were. But yes, dear friend, it makes me terribly nostalgic, I mean how old are we? Wait, don't remind me. And yes, I do know every word of this song. Glad you all had a wonderful time in our city.

Ingrid said...

I went to that Museum several times as a kid and always liked it. We have talked about doing a Chicago trip someday and taking the kids to several museums. It is just a little longer drive for us :) Glad you had a great time.

Molly Sabourin said...

Oh Beth,

I would never question your 80's metal authority!! I actually put this up with you in mind - because that part of your life is so endearing to me (and because this song reminded me immediately of my cheerleading days...and Cool Ranch Doritos). What's so amazing, is that I'm only 27. I must have a really great memory. ; ) Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!

Ingrid! Do a Chicago trip!! It would be fun to visit with you again. I am sure Dan is anxious (as I always am) to spend some time at the old Navistar Headquarters. :)

Beth said...

Yes, you are privy to certain information about me like that at one time, I could do a really good rendition of AC/DC's Thunderstruck, that I still love Keith Green, and that I was, embarrassing as it is, a hard-core cheerleader (I still can plaster that smile on my face). Can't wait to see you all. Have a good day.

Grandpa Mike said...

Molly,

Great pictures of you guys at the Museum.

Memories!

About 55 years ago, Grandma Jean, Jim, your dad, Martha and I joined Stanley and Miriam and kids there every Saturday in June and July.

Love,

Grandpa Mike

Anonymous said...

Wow. I don't think I've ever thought of Elijah looking so much like Harry Potter before. He's dangerously close to putting that Daniel Radcliffe joker out of a job.
-Kelsey (your cuz)

Sandy said...

Looks like a fantastic time! Loved the pics!

Sara said...

Oh yea, this song sure does make me nostalgic. Looks like you had a really fun time. Hopefully someday we can make a Chicago trip.

Kh. Patty said...

As has been pointed out, and you surely have noticed, Elijah makes a great Harry Potter. I'm sure he's proud of that fact. I can't wait to see this exhibit ourselves!

Molly Sabourin said...

Oh Kelsey and Patty,

Elijah would be thrilled to hear you say he resembles Harry Potter as that is exactly the look he was going for that day. It helped, I think, that he broke into a British accent mid-way through the exhibit. :)

swede said...

The introduction of his British accent was personally my favorite moment of the day.