Thursday, May 21, 2009

days aren't long enough (yet another "pay attention!" kind of post because I'm so very forgetful)



I took these two pictures only fifteen minutes apart - or maybe I took one last spring and the other today. But then again, how in the world could the time have passed by that quickly?  When did Mary's hair and Benjamin's legs grow? How did their faces mature without me noticing? This morning I bought another headache of an inflatable pool, the kind that takes forever to blow-up and fill with water and then just as long to drain and put away again. What a rip-off, I grumbled initially, thinking I'd just spent $30.00 dollars (last week? last month?) on the now useless, leaking, blue and white pile of plastic gathering dust and cobwebs in our garage. I thought it was ridiculous to waste money again on something so expendable until it dawned on me that it had been two whole years since I'd last had to purchase one - that we'd gotten days and days and days and days worth of play out of our last pool. How is it warm enough already to go swimming?


I took a look at my calendar last night and scratched my head at all of the filled-in squares, at all of the events scheduled, at the brevity of summer. So much to do! So much to do! So easy to get lost in the details, forgetting the here and now. But my house is dirty! But my e-mails are accumulating!  But I don't know where to begin, how to catch up! But, hold it a second; don't I feel that way always? Am I not hopping right back on to the same tired old treadmill? Wait, life is blooming, my kids are blossoming, love is ripe for the picking, the devouring! Take it easy there, sister. Let's keep this all in perspective. The days aren't long enough, there's no extra time for brooding and moaning over petty things, inconsequential things, over things that simply won't count for much in the end.

In a living room in Indianapolis, sits one of my dearest friends in the world rocking her sweet and healthy newborn after the most horrific pregnancy and birth you can imagine. On Saturday, I'll see my godson, my delightful, adorable godson and his just as adorable twin brothers. They will splash with my children in our brand new extra large pool - oh boy are they excited. Tonight I will go to book club. I really like book club - what a treat! Yesterday, was my grandpa's birthday, my grandpa the prolific blogger. My brother's new podcast about film and culture is now up on Ancient Faith Radio and I am thrilled because I think he's brilliant. The weather? simply gorgeous! My kitchen? a disaster! My future? A complete mystery. Better to soak in, drink in, swallow all I can than to tune out those fleeting chances to participate in something significant and eternal.   Better to keep my eyes open, taking one - small - step - at - a - time. 

Another year has come and gone
Another circle ‘round the sun
Another thousand tears have fallen
I don’t ever count ‘em ‘cause 
I’m surrounded by your love 
And days are never long enough

Four more seasons on parade
Show their colors then they fade
But that won’t happen to us, darlin’
We’ll remember how it was
Then begin again because 
Days are never long enough

Time’s never late 
Isn’t bound by our fate
Try as we may
Love might never be found if we wait 
Until the sun comes up
On another day my love
Days are never long enough

Time’s never late 
Isn’t bound by our fate
Try as we may
Love might never be found if we wait 
Until the sun comes up
On another day my love
Days are never long enough

 -Days Aren't Long Enough
   Steve Earle
 

3 comments:

Has said...

You're so right! Thanks for the reminder!

Carol said...

Thank you so much for putting things in perspective. We all need this "kick in the pants" once in a while.

Ingrid said...

Thanks for the reminder. I wrote about you today on my blog. A little thanks!