Thursday, May 14, 2009

come by storm





 I heard it out loud: CRACK!  A flash of light. A roll of thunder.  I was wide awake at 2:00 am - awake as a nocturnal newborn at the breast of her sleepy mother.  For the remainder of the storm I sat upright, half mesmerized by, half terrified of, nature's fury. I felt small, small and vulnerable but my husband, my children, they rode it out peacefully, kept right on dreaming. Finally, though, near the end, when of all that sparking and booming had, for the most part, run its course, Benji stumbled into our bed and I was grateful for his need to be comforted. There is nothing to worry about, sweetheart, I whispered confidently, repeatedly, just like I was supposed to. Hours later, I awoke to brightness, to a dry calm. I tend to be braver, coherent, less forgetful, when the sun is shining.

Mom! You've got to look at this! Out front my eldest son was pointing wildly to a massive tree limb blocking our sidewalk and blowing the minds of passers- by with its hugeness and gnarled branches reaching out into the street like the fingers of a zombied corpse. It was a haunting scene, one I couldn't look away from until they came in with their chain saws and, quick as a wink, cut the whole mess down into manageable, cartable sized pieces. And now no evidence remains, save the jagged, exposed, butter-colored, bark-less insides of a trunk maimed and scarred by the violence of spring. 

I think I need a nap but, boy oh boy, it sure is nice out. I'd kind of hate to close my eyes in the midst of such beauty. 

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow - that was some storm! We got a little lightening, some thunder, but no broken trees. :)

That is one massive tree. Glad it didn't land on your house - or your car.

~Michelle

Patricia said...

Wow, that's quite a branch...must be some tree! We had three pine trees in our back yard blow over (away from the house, thanks be to God) during one particularly windy night last year. The back yard looked like a war zone, it was surreal. Glad everything turned out ok!

Jenny said...

Lovely--perfect song, sweet glimpse into a stormy night. We don't have many storms here--you know just tsumani's and earthquakes. I miss the storms of the midwest.

Kelleylynn said...

How thrilling!
Although, relieved that no one was harmed and your house was spared.

Recently we had a storm here where lighting struck and electrified the entire lake that backdrops our humble student apt. Wild!