Tuesday, May 19, 2009

before you met me I was a fairy princess




People are always telling me how lucky I am to be raising a real live princess. Isn't it fabulous, they ask, to hang out with royalty all the time? And then I laugh a little and try to break it to  them gently that it's actually quite a bit harder than it seems.  Because what they don't reveal in Disney films is that princesses, real live ones, require a lot of upkeep - they have many, many needs and opinions to take into consideration before heading out the door to run an errand or visit a friend. They break down sometimes in frustration when others fail to recognize their uber-specialness, their inherited right to be catered to. 


Sure there are plenty of time-outs on the "whining throne,"  plenty of lessons on how princesses ought to speak (kindly) and ought to share (generously). Surely, surely, it is labor intensive but along the way, I've been blessed by her conviction that what appears, upon first glance, to be ordinary and mundane has the potential to become majestic with but a simple change of perspective. Princesses, real ones anyway, find beauty in everything.  For now, I am the mother of a tiny queen in training. What can I say? It's the role of a lifetime and I'm trying my hardest to appreciate every minute of it - to curb the "give me-s," the sense of entitlement, without dampening her enthusiasm, imagination, confidence and spunk. Someday, I'll look back and recall only the sparkly, shining parts. I'll say to the mother of a crowned three-year-old at the library or in line at the grocery store, Well, goodness, aren't you lucky? My memories will, like all great fairy tales, remain charmingly biased and golden.


5 comments:

Sandy said...

Just beautiful! What a gorgeous song too! My princess will be five this summer but her royal highness' demands grow and evolve with her! :)
Your gifted ministry as a writer is the ability to put a beautifully crafted silver frame around the everyday we'd never remember otherwise. Thank you!!!

Unknown said...

I just read this out loud to my sister, who has three little princesses of her own. We cried.

Michelle said...

love, love, LOVE the pictures Molly! I think my favorite is Troy kissing her hand - she's got him wrapped around her finger, doesn't she? :) Too sweet.

Much love to all there,
~Michelle

Marsha said...

I remain convinced that all parents have an age and stage that is difficult for them, and vice versa. Despite the whiney voice, and burgeoning independence, often used unwisely, 3-4 year olds are MY FAVORITE ever!!

So serious, so sweet, so present....and yes, so into dresses. My older one wouldn't be caught dead in a dress now, so enjoy her in 'em for now!!

Grandpa Mike said...

What a beautiful posting! And pictures! I tried to "download" the Princess picture, but don't know how.

Keep writing to us, Molly!

Love,

Grandpa Mike