Wednesday, March 11, 2009

what goes around comes around


So if you wanted to see a bunch of Sabourin kids wail in anguish and beat at their breasts over the cruelness of a mother who would dare to compile such a vile combination of vegetables and curry sauce and then deem it edible for the whole family, you should have stopped by our house last night around 5:47 pm - at the exact time I was declaring the requirement of taking at least two "polite bites" non-negotiable. Priscilla rallied and then gloated over her talent at being able to down the whole bowl without vomiting. Benjamin wept silently while Elijah tried relentlessly to negotiate (What if I took out just the peas and potatoes and ate the rest?). Mary held the same spoonful in her cheeks for over twenty-five minutes before finally surrendering and swallowing whatever hadn't been drooled out the side of her tiny lips. Troy and I went on dining and conversing like all of this Oscar worthy drama was just par for the course, because...well, it is.

As our parents would gladly (even gleefully) tell you, this is payback time for my husband's and my picky eating tendencies as children. Twenty-five years ago, while my mom was shaking her head at the hissy fit I was throwing over her stuffed green peppers and spaghetti squash and while my future in-laws were pulling over again to the side of a McDonalds parking lot to wait for their son's special order of a plain something or other, I have a hunch they were dreaming of the moment when we would look on dumbfounded at our own teary sons and daughters staring wide-eyed at their dinner, covering their mouths with their hands in horror, and understand fully, apologetically, how trying it can be to come up with meals (besides pizza, of course) that please everyone.

That day, those days, have officially arrived and now here is your prize, Papa and Nana, Grammy and Grampy, for enduring so patiently our maniacal fear of things that were green, things that crunched, things that were mixed together:

From the bottom of our hearts,

WE ARE SORRY.

11 comments:

Kelly said...

Love it! You described the scene so beautifully that it brought a smile to my face.

Kelly said...

Oh, and the recipe looks delicious! Are you willing to share it?

Kris Livovich said...

That is so funny! Did they get to eat something after supper? A pre-bedtime snack, if you will? I'm not sure I could have stayed strong when faced with four crying faces. One or two, sure, but all?

When they grow up to live in India and eat Vindaloo every night for supper they will thank you. Or not.

Kelleylynn said...

I laughed so hard peas and rice came out of my nose! :D
You must tell me your secret in keeping so sane through such drama.

Sandy said...

Way too funny!!! Matt and I get a kick out of the way we can totally tell that Ella really thinks we've done something so incredibly mean to her by asking her to eat veggies. How could two parents be that evil? Ha! :)
The recipe does look great by the way!

Molly Sabourin said...

Really? You want a recipe of mine? I am so flattered (cooking is not my specialty)! :) Here it is from "Food for Paradise - a meatless cookbook" compiled by the Orthodox Church of Saint John the Russian in Ipswich, Mass.:

Potato and Green Pea Curry

2 onions
4 TBLSPN oil
4 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 tsp ground cardamom
3/4 tsp salt
2 to 3 tsp dill
2 Cups vegeatble broth
1 TBLSPN curry
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 ginger
1 package frozen peas

Saute onions in oil. Add potatoes. Blend in seasonings except dill. Stir and cook 3 minutes. Add broth and cook covered over low heat about 15 minutes until potatoes are almost tender. Add thawed peas and dill and cook 8 to 10 minutes more until cooked through. Serve over rice (I also sprinkled peanuts on top). Serves 4 or 5 (I doubled it). Enjoy!!

Michelle said...

I laughed SO HARD Molly! I remember those LONG WAITS for Troy's PLAIN cheeseburger at McDonald's.

Well done. :)
~Michelle

Has said...

Ha ha ha, I loved this! Have been there and done that!

Lucy said...

Ah yes, that scene has been played here many times over the last couple of weeks. To make it even better, I got "the look" from my husband tonight because I made a shrimp dish with coconut milk. He HATES coconut, but I assured him he wouldn't taste it. And he didn't. But, there was still weeping and gnashing of teeth. They've played this out with meatless chili with TVP, with beans and rice, you name it. Apparently, we're going to be eating peanut butter toast for the rest of Lent.

You're right - this is payback for my habit of chewing a bite of steak for 45 minutes when I was five.

Jenny said...

Ha! I love this.

Ingrid said...

I am laughing so hard right now. I can't tell you how many nights this same scenario plays itself out at our house. It is SO FRUSTRATING!!