Wednesday, March 4, 2009

a little sunshine







Yesterday, we received a package - not just any old package, mind you, but like the coolest package ever. Is there anything for us? The kids asked me, like they usually do whenever the mailman stops by, and usually I say, No, not this time. But yesterday, on that special day, instead of answering in the negative, I said, Why, yes, there sure is! Look at this! Together we oohed and awed at the Australian return address.

Over the past year I've had the privilege of becoming acquainted, through Ancient Faith Radio and blogging, with a lovely woman - a fellow mother, a fellow writer, a kindred spirit half-way around the globe. We've exchanged e-mails, narrowed the gap as much as possible between her world and mine but never did she and her family seem closer to us than when we opened that lovingly packed "nappy" box filled with all kinds of treats from her native Australia. There were snacks and sticker books, art prints and little toy animals. Benjamin claimed the boomerang and has yet to put it down since. Elijah now knows an impressive amount of facts about Australia's dangerous wildlife. Priscilla has already starting gathering the items she wants to include in our "America" parcel (she likes that word, she's decided). Are there candy bars in Australia? What about music boxes? Mom, I want to give them something that they can't buy or find in their country!

What I really loved was the lengthy letter, all handwritten and full of tidbits about my friend's day-to-day life. I read it slowly, over coffee, imagining someone just like me with the same fears and longings working out her salvation so very far away, and yet those miles are being erased by a shared goal, a shared conviction, an intertwining of our lives through technology and now these tangible, edible, graspable offerings so generously and thoughtfully bestowed upon us. I was also moved by the photo - such a sweet looking family. I have placed it upon our prayer shelf, among the icons and candles, surrounded by saints, by Christ and the Theotokos. Every morning and every evening I will include them in my intercessions for patience, for peace, for perseverance. I will look at her and remember, when I feel isolated, discouraged, weary from pursuing the Truth, that we are saved as a community, that Christ is fully present in our relationships. Pleasing ourselves, obsessing over our own productivity and comfort, will never ever be as satisfying as sacrificing our time and resources for one another.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Selena, for sending a little hope, a little wonder, a little sunshine over my way.

5 comments:

Beth said...

How kind and wonderful. I always want to write handwritten letters but never get around to it. Nice to know that there are people who still do. And I just have to comment on Ben's hair- that is quite a hairdo. Love to you.

Beth said...

Is that Ben's new do? Looks like he's going for Jared hair. Looks better on him than me.

Has said...

Awwww, Molly, the pleasure was all mine! Your blog post made my day! My children loved seeing your children holding the things we sent you. After that we had to watch all the videos of your children on your blog, and I had to explain why we weren't planning on visiting Indiana any time soon... I'm so glad you're enjoying the gifts! Please forgive my timing (dairy products in Lent..?).
My children are anxious to know whether you enjoyed the vegemite. My response was "not likely".
Love Selena

Anonymous said...

Ah, vegemite.

During our visit to Australia, our hotel breakfast bar had global selections for their guests: fish soups for the Asians; sliced meats and cheese for the Europeans; pancakes, eggs & sausage for the Americans; fabulous fruits and grains for everyone; then, vegemite.

Our cultural palates are different.

Can't wait to read Molly's reply!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I recognize that stuff! I still haven't tried any vegemite, though it's sitting on the shelf downstairs, but I am well acquainted with timtam's and milo. Hope you're all doing well. :)

kelsey