Wednesday, August 27, 2008

We own this moment


I wanted to get you a card, at least a card. I had planned to extract myself and the children this afternoon from out of the bowels of this cluttered house where we've been holed up for days now, reconfiguring. But here it is, nearly 4:00 pm and the baby is still sleeping, my stamina waning; I'm already beating myself up for this, and for many things. When I'm sinking, flailing, drowning in my own expectations, it is you - your stability, the feel of you on my skin that helps me regulate my breathing and reign in the wandering thoughts that only circle round and round the same old tired apprehensions. I can see it in your eyes: the strain, the drain of providing for a family. It takes a good man, a strong man to love with sweat and prayer and time - to stick around when things get tougher than either one of us imagined they could be, all those years ago when we agreed to make a go of things together. I'm empty-handed, darling, but my heart is full - full of stars and glitter and odes to you.

Happy Birthday.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, your birthdays are really close together! Pass my birthday greetings on to the good man!

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

Wow! Does anyone in your family have a birthday that is not in August? Wow!

Kelleylynn said...

Well! Well! Many years to ALL of you! What an exciting month to be around your gang.

BTW, I may have confused you with when mentioning that I bestow the name "Mary". You see, my middle name is Marie and en francais it is "Mary". (My father is from Quebec)
I was encouraged to take her as my patron saint where over 14years ago I merely thought of her as something to disregard, as mentioned in your beautiful blog. Yet, I was encouraged upon christmation to pray to the Theotokos and I did (do), poorly...however, there is no doubt in my mind that she has become an ever-sustaining presence within my life as wife, mom, and follower of Jesus Christ. To love her is to truly love her Son...the two cannot be separated. I have found much strength in this and hold unto her intercessions not only for myself but for all mankind.
Have you read Fredrica Matthews-Greene's book on "The Lost Gospel of Mary"? A great insight -- one to read again & again.

Molly Sabourin said...

I know. Can you believe it?! I'm a little Birthday-ed out, to tell you the truth.

Kelleylynn,

"To love her is to truly love her Son...the two cannot be separated. I have found much strength in this and hold unto her intercessions not only for myself but for all mankind."

That is lovely! I have not read Frederica's book but I would certainly like to, now that you've suggested it. Thanks!