Tuesday, August 12, 2008

kiss her like a sister

I never had this growing up - sharing girly-girl secrets, or a bed when the nights turned scary. Last evening, I found these two all snuggled in Priscilla's top bunk and I was suddenly very enamored with the idea that each of my daughters has a sister. It's not that I felt deprived as a kid because honestly, I was too busy pretending to be Boba Fett, getting socked in the gut with a ball while playing running bases, firing my battery operated machine gun, or re-enacting a Hulk Hogan vs. Rowdy Roddy Piper wrestling match to ponder on the fact that my main influence and role model was an adolescent, braces-wearing, Tron loving, older brother. I was never as handy with a curling iron or mascara wand as my friends with more mature girl siblings, but my youthful obsession with creating stories, poems, and songs, my quirky sense of humor, my varied taste in music, and my motivation for biting off more than I think I can chew when it really matters, comes directly from crazy old Bobby, now a husband and a father and a phenomenal writer/magazine editor. I pray that my kids will also inspire one another to think outside of the heavily marketed secularized box and that later, when the dust from their arguments and squabbles has dispersed, precious memories of their years spent together will remain behind, like panned gold.

4 comments:

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

Hey Mollie,

I have two brothers and three sisters and I can say I don't know much with regards to the sister to sister relationship, but I value both my brothers more than I would ever have imagined growing up.

With regards to pro wrestling....I recently heard the story from someone I met who, along with his brother, would save old outgrown shirts as kids so that they could wear them skin tight and then rip them off like hulk hogan. The image was immediate and wonderfully funny in my mind.

Unknown said...

My two youngest often do the same thing (sleep together at night). It is truly adorable. It is a blessing to my wife and me to see them play together and have fun. Children are a lot of work, but truly, they are a blessing from the Lord. (Psalm 127:3)

Molly Sabourin said...

Amen, Father James!

Oh my, Christian, had my brother been privy to the way-cool ideas of those boys, it would have really enhanced his experience as a pro-wrestler! :)
Thanks for sharing!

Has said...

The first time I found my little daughters curled up asleep just like your photo, I couldn't do anything but stand by their bed and smile and smile for about 10 minutes. It's such a precious thing!