Friday, August 22, 2008

it's my birthday too...


I was born on this day in 1974, and so of course my children got up early to tip-toe through the hallway and make the coffee before tidying up the living room and then waiting on the couch for me to saunter down the stairs in my satin robe. "Happy Birthday to you, dear mother," they sang - harmonized, even - on key. It's been one big festive blur of flowers, balloons, and sentiments so sweet they've made my head spin, my heart race, my mouth ache from smiling.

Oh, please don't be jealous...I'm sure your own kids would do the same.

So, my fellow parents, have you finished laughing yet? Did you correctly surmise that my "snapshot of the day" depicts with an impressive degree of accuracy (I must admit) how birthdays are actually celebrated throughout these childrearing years? For some reason, it reminds me a bit of when I was in hard labor with Mary, and Priscilla wandered into the bedroom where all was hushed and tense and excruciating (I had home births remember) because she was hungry, and wondering if I could please uncurl myself from that fetal position and get her a bowl of cereal. I've become less of a "person" over the past decade and more of an "environment" - one, I pray, that is nurturing, faith inspiring, and creative. I'm a maternal amalgamation of night lights, band-aids, hot meals, and warm skin; I'm the soil that feeds the buds now stretching upwards toward the light, toward the sun.

Mary did give me a phonics flashcard with a picture of a bow topped box on it ("P," "P," "Present!") . And Ben did help me blow out that candle on my coffee cake. Troy will bring home a movie of my own choosing, and probably rub my feet if I ask him too. I am, without a doubt, a lucky girl.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! May God grant you many years!

Kelleylynn said...

Indeed, a Lucky Girl!
Many, many, many years to you, dear friend!

Laura said...

Hi! I just found your blog, because I was trying to name my new blog "hesitant homeschooler". I am amazed at the thoughts and experiences you have recorded and have enjoyed comparing them with my own. I, too, am just beginning homeschooling after a long decision-making process. I finally decided to name my blog:

http://anotherhesitanthomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Best wishes in your endeavors with your family!

Laura

BTW I think I found your blog on your birthdate: Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you! Were we 14 when we met? Wow! Love you and hope you had a very wonderful day!
Sara

Has said...

Happy bday Molly!

Each time my birthday rolls around these days (with kids) I am reminded of that old MAD magazine comic showing a mother about to wash all the dishes from her own birthday dinner. Her daughter and son say "STOP! Don't do those dishes"... and she looks relieved until they say "you can do them tomorrow."

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Many Years!

I love what you say about being more of an "environment" than a "person." So true. But my hope is the same as yours - that my environment is one of love and encouragement. I'm pretty confident that you are successful.