Monday, August 25, 2008

this is the powerful pulsing of love in the vein...

The summer I turned fifteen, we went on vacation to Colorado. I have memories, all fond ones now, of a leaky tent, an elderly waitress serving our meal and then returning moments later to take our order, an amateur dinner theater performance, and Paul Simon, whose album, Graceland, was the soundtrack for a road trip marking the end of our childhood and the beginning of college debts, scholastic enlightenment, and weighty decisions concerning the future. That spring, we'd move from California to Illinois, my brother, Bobby, would commence with his four years of higher education and I would long for some independence of my own. I couldn't wait to get away, to carve out a little life for myself in a world that seemed too titillating for staying put for all that long in just one place.

Ask me tonight about roots, about freedom and family and I'll remember how twenty-four hours ago, when we were celebrating Mary's birthday with my parents and my brother (pictured above with my dad) and his wife and daughters, I'd felt settled. There are thrills to be found in changing over and over again our scenery but I believe, now, (after wading a bit in rushing currents a tad more forceful than I'd anticipated) there can be quiet, sustained tranquility in surrounding yourself with loved ones and standing still.

2 comments:

swede said...

"We get it, you're independent . . . now when are you moving home?"

It's funny the huge impact that simple statement had on me, made by Troy during our NYE trip to Orlando. Before he said that I had not once considered moving back home; four months later all my stuff was packed and the moving van was rented for a one-way trip from Kansas City to Chicago. And could not be more thankful.

It has been such a blessing to be close to family, and to see my definition of my family expand to include your family, the Johnsons and the Lamberts. I cherish the time we all had together in the city, from everything CTS-related to the many, many nights in your back yard (or, as I called it "the beer garden). Also, seeing your kids and the Leichty's (or the Leish-it-ties) love each other so much brings me such untold joy. And to see my own faith grow as well, through all your examples and this amazing community we've established . . .

Maybe you caught me on a nostalgic day, or maybe it's because I am anxiously preparing for our reunion this weekend and a week up north, but I couldn't agree more.

I am content.

Molly Sabourin said...

Thank you for this, Carrie! Your nostalgia was a blessing to me today.
We are so so grateful to have you with us...to have you home.