Tuesday, November 18, 2008

my little mouth, my winter lungs...

We got nine inches last night and now our yard looks like a scene from out of a Thomas Kinkade painting - all timeless, softly lit, and too good to be true. Within minutes of gathering the boots and layers necessary for snow ball, man, and angel making, I was reminded of how much slush and clutter gets strewn around my kitchen, living room, dining room in the winter months. But then again, there is something about flushed icy cheeks, frigid mornings and emaciated tree branches covered in billowing mounds of sparkling, starry snowflakes that make coffee taste even better and staying inside all snuggled up together on the couch a preferred, glorious, comforting way to pass the hours. Will it get old? Oh yeah, come February, we'll be clawing at the walls and dreaming of greens and pinks and yellows. But today, the white on white effect is mesmerizing and magical.

I'm preparing, devising a plan, the goal of which is health and making it all the way to springtime without caving in to the eye-twitching madness accompanying those extra hours of dark, and isolation. I'm a moderate optimist - hopeful but realistic, thus I'm ridding my house of chocolate and keeping a gym bag packed with spandex-ey shorts and a water bottle for those 6:00 pm exercise classes at the YMCA. I have learned the very hard way that stay-at-home mothers cannot live, cannot thrive, on positive thinking alone. Now is the time to gird ourselves with better soul, mind and body affirming choices. We have so little control over our stuff and our unpredictable schedules, but no one is holding a gun to our heads and shoving junk food down our throats or forcing us to dress in shapeless sweatpants and sluggishness inducing fuzzy slippers. It IS going to be messier, and more difficult for awhile to stay afloat emotionally amidst all the usual parenting demands plus the loneliness, and the added complication of finding mittens and hats, scraping off vans, shoveling driveways before errands can be run.

Please, join me in prayer, in fueling ourselves with wholesome nutrients and aerobic activity, in writing letters to old friends (see two posts below), offering sincere and specific compliments as often as possible, surrounding ourselves with quality, beautiful, thought provoking (as opposed to numbing) stimuli, and staying aware of and away from those temptations that when yielded to leave us agitated, regretful, morose and depressed. There is power in numbers and a higher chance of success when accountability is involved. So tell me, what will YOUR tactics be for staying sane and robust this season? I could use some inspiration and support!

13 comments:

Marsha said...

I think mine is going to be to implement a schedule. I am too weak and slothful to be trusted to go with the flow of the day. Guess what happens? NOTHING! Except the mad rush at 4:30 to get everything done and dinner cooked so it appears as though I have it together.

So: schedule
exercise
more me time (Wedn. night vespers and Tuesdays when one goes to mother's day out and the other to science class at the zoo with a good friend!)
St. Ephraim's prayer

Has said...

Oh Molly it sounds absolutely magical and I think I'd never get tired of it. That's because I've never even seen snow.

As for me, I'm psyching myself up for an Aussie summer, including the current features of severe drought, harsh water restrictions, and bubbling tar on the roads. Same as you, I guess, the kids simply can't go outside in that weather. They can't jump around in the sprinkler (backyard sprinklers are illegal now, and they'd get blistering sunburn in 10 minutes). If one doesn't have fancy airconditioning (as we don't) then summer feels, at times, unbearable. The fatigue and sluggishness is overwhelming at times.

Anyway, I've been inspired by you to think ahead and plan our way through it!

Jenn said...

I love the first beautiful snow... AND I like to imagine you working out at 6:00 am...your a maniac!! I admire you for having a plan prior to all the darkness that winter can bring. Let's promise to talk on the phone when you can steal a chance!
Lots of love,
Jenn

p.s. Shapeless sweat pants sure are alluring in the winter time!

Anonymous said...

Oh Molly, how beautiful! We have yet to see any snow, it's been unusually warm (50s and 60s). Maybe next week?!
A schedule always helps me as well as having someone to be accountable to. I hope to run upp and down my stairs a lot.

Anonymous said...

I've also found that if I keep my shoes on, I'm way more productive!

Molly Sabourin said...

Ooh, scheduling...I'm not very good at that, Marsha, but I've been convicted lately that sticking with one would be very beneficial for my children! And yes about the shoes, Sara!! I actually need jeans and shoes, soft clothing makes me too sleepy.

Hello Has!Thank you for commenting! your Australian summers sound just as challenging as our snowy winters! Bubbling tar? Now that is HOT. I think that fatigue and sluggishness are our common mothering denominators. It is good for me to hear from all of you who are also working through those difficulties and aiming for higher levels of productivity and peacefulness.

Dear sweet Jen,

I have got to clarify for you that my exercise classes are at 6:00 *PM . Our YMCA has free childcare for members in the evenings so since Troy gets home late anyway, the kids and I head over there for some aerobics, weightlifting, and to talk to and see people besides ourselves. Last night, Paige and I did a Zumba class together which is kind of like hip-hop dancing in the dark with REALLY loud music and a strobe light. We mentioned out loud, more than once, how we wish so badly you were with us!! For now though, just carry that image in your mind for some mid-day amusement. :) love you!

Kelleylynn said...

Ah! Molly!
This is exactly the stage I find myself and motivation is the very thing needed.
I'm working out 3-4 times a week waking at 7am with a friend in tow...cannot work out alone and then later I knit and have tea with another friend (while the children play together). Of course, there is schooling in between. Recently, I scheduled the older two children for tutoring lessons, once a week, in writing...it is so worth the time away plus this way I am available for Mary Kate and Luke -- for one hour.
Hang in there. Keep it up! Stay the course, friend

Kelleylynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
paige maddex said...

Yea! You can do it: we can do it! (Instructor Stephanie will help us)!

Love this post - your house looks beautiful all snowy

Jenn said...

Zumba...now you have me jealous..Where was your VIDEO camera????? That sounds like perfect fun..were you and Paige wearing leg warmers and head sweatbands, because that crystalizes the picture in my mind!
Lots of love, J
The ONLY thing that could make it better was if Bobby joined you as well! :)

Michelle said...

I had to laugh at the thought of you and Paige in a Zumba class... That is a sight I'd love to see!

I would love to have free babysitting and a Y membership and a workout buddy. Instead I have a workout plan, weights, a medicine ball, a stability ball and a workout mat in my living room - followed by aerobic exercise in intervals to WGN morning news. Usually interrupted by bickering or 'can I start breakfast NOW Mom?'

But, exercise, smart nutrition, avoiding junk and an early bedtime are my helpers. I love my schedule, I love my Cinch tea. An occasional visit from a friend helps too.

And, as much as I love homeschooling my wonderful children, afternoon kindergarten at the local public school for my youngest is, I do believe, THE one thing I CANNOT live without. This year anyway.

Tell your kids their cousins are super jealous. They've been praying for snow for over a month now and we have none. And they have sledding saucers in the garage that are anxiously awaiting their first run down the hill.

If you get down, give me a call. I'll probably need cheering up too. :)
Much love!

Fr. Christian Mathis said...

love seeing the snow! my plan is to put structure, structure, structure in my life. Something I am not too good at.......and try to work on a new icon after Christmas. Wish me luck.

I will try to send some encouragement too!

Jenny said...

Molly,

This is such a totally beautiful image and post. I love the snapshot of the day concept. I can not get over how creative you are and how beautifully your mind weaves things together! What a gift this blog is.

I've printed up your book and plan to get started tonight. I have been terrible at reading lately, many nights I just collapse after I get the kids down, but I hope I can just take time to read--my heart needs it.